Saturday, August 22, 2009

Postpartum

I hate to say it, but again I have some sort of postpartum depression. I'm amazed I'm even mentioning it on my blog. I guess I don't want to pretend everything is perfect when it isn't. It's very easy to pretend everything is fine, but don't you hate thinking someone else is perfect? Well, now just in case anyone had any doubts- I am not anywhere near perfect. I've had this problem with each of my kids. With Claire it lasted the longest- I think because she had colic. Anyway, I'm not so bad I just feel sad a lot. It's the weirdest thing for me. I can remember feeling happy a few weeks ago, and now I'm sad. I try my hardest to be happy for my kids. I mean I have to get up and get them breakfast and Claire to school. I'm glad I am busier because then I don't focus on it, but it is so frustrating not to feel just happy on my own, when "normally" I am fine. It kind of hit me this time too. I felt fine for two days after Vivi was born and then the third day I woke up from a nap and I just felt completely opposite. Weird weird weird hormones. I don't think my kids know anything is wrong (I hope not). I'm glad to for all of the help I've gotten these past two weeks. All of the food has been wonderful and my mom has helped getting Claire to school and helped with house chores. I couldn't ask for a better mom. I just hope I can be a great mom too. I think my depression is partly anxiety based. I don't know when it happened, but I worry way too much about things. Anyway, I am technically fine, just trying to work through this and be the best I can be. It wouldn't hurt either if I could just fit back into my regular clothes- I hate my maternity clothes- but dang it I still look like I'm 3 or 4 months pregnant- ugh!

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there Liz. You'll be feeling like the wonderful and amazing and happy self in no time! One breath at a time and those hormones will start to right themselves before you know it. If it helps, I thought you looked absolutely beautiful in the pictures taken after Vivi was born--who cares if you've still got a little extra weight? You're still gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweetie. I'm so sorry that this has been so tough on you. I can only imagine how hard this must be with so much going on. I'm glad you have supportive family nearby to help you through this. I wish I could help in some way. I hope you can feel our prayers coming your way. Thanks for being willing to talk about it, so many women encounter that same obstacle and are afraid to talk about it. The August Ensign had a big article on it with some great tips. Vivian is beautiful and contrary to what you think, you look amazing. You are an incredible woman and I know you will get through this. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on you baby girl! She is beautiful. It makes me excited for our baby girl coming in a couple of months.

    I am really sorry to hear about your post-partum. I know you had talked about it a little in the past, but let me just say thank you for being willing to share that everything is not perfect. You have a great family and help and I know you'll get through it. Those first couple of months after the baby comes are not my favorite either - crazy hormones and lack of sleep do not put you on your best. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for being so open about your postpartum depression. I talk about my experience with as many moms as possible, so they know they are not alone. At least this time your mom is basically just around the corner to help out in any way she can. I hope you start feeling better real soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete