Saturday, May 23, 2009

Empty Nesters

We are now empty nesters. Literally the nest on our door was full of tiny birds, and now they have all left the nest. Soon after I posted my last entry the momma bird did come back and laid 4 more eggs (5 in total). She sat on them and sat on them for about a week and then one day we noticed an egg shell by the front door! Sure enough the little eggs hatched. I have to be completely honest. I thought the eggs were much cuter then the actual baby birds, but it was interesting having them around. We actually got to see the mom feeding her babies. You know like the way you see it on the discovery channel. I've never seen it in real life, so that was educational for the kids. The one BIG downside and the reason I liked the eggs better was because once they started eating they also started pooping. It was pretty gross right there on our front door. I also worried about them way too much. One windy night I was so worried that the nest was going to blow down. I had nightmares that I would wake up and find them dead on my doorstep- luckily that didn't happen. They stayed for about two weeks and then left and never came back. Shawn and I are kind of glad they are gone. Isn't that horrible to say???? Hopefully we won't say that about our own kids when they leave in 20 years, but then again, there is a lot of poop I have to deal with inside too and I do tend to worry too much about them too, so maybe it's all the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment