Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Happily Ever After = false

Wow, the title of this entry is depressing. Everyone wants to believe in happily ever after, but I'm not convinced it's true.  Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age, and my mature marriage of 13 years.  Ha Ha, no I realize I don't actually know anything,  and I may change my mind later, but this is what I was thinking.
I read an article the other day about a handicapped woman who was hailed at being a success story.  Her success was that she had defied odds and had found love and had gotten married.  I of course congratulate her, but somehow the fact of her success hanging on her getting married rubbed me the wrong way.  It was stated as if, now she had made it.  Now, she has what everyone wants, "Happily Ever After". When really it's not.  I mean marriage is great, but it's not clear sailing after you tie the knot. I think life gets more real when you get married.
I love Disney.  I love their movies, I love going to the parks, I love it that my little girl dresses up like the princesses, but I'm beginning to think it's wrong of them to portray the thinking that marriage is a happily ever after.  Maybe this mentality is why so many people get divorced.  Do we all feel entitled to a happily ever after?  And so when things get hard we bail out?  I hope not.
There are a lot of ups and downs in any marriage.  Mine, since that's the only one I really have license to critic, has had it's fair share of bumps.  Three of those bumps have first names and lived inside of me for 9 months.  Some bumps are just your regular run of the mill day to day stuff, and some bumps are just between me and my Mr. Houston.  But we've worked through them and we will continue to work through future ones, and it's not easy. Part of a quote from former Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley says "most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration".
Maybe you can finally say you are in your happily ever after when you are like my grandparents and have been married for over 60 years, but the funny thing is they still get frustrated with each other today.
 Of course we should be happy when someone gets married, but we should also be truthful and let people know it takes a lot of work to make the happily ever last.  In fact there may be days that you arent happy.  But is it worth it?  Oh yes!  You have to work hard to find your moments of happily ever after.  And yes I know.... I am wise beyond my years :)

No comments:

Post a Comment