Saturday, May 25, 2013

Oh no....What are you looking at?

We went to Barnes and Noble this morning for story-time.  Will had some leftover birthday money so he bought a book about fantastic facts. He was so excited to go home and read it!  And of course with me having gotten my degree in English (don't judge my grammar, it was more of a literature degree) I'm all about reading and books!  So he settled down on the couch to read, and I sat down in the kitchen to write a desperately needed grocery list.  As I was deeply into writing my list I hear from my 7 year old son,
"oh my gosh, mom you have to see.  This book shows how babies get in the mom's tummy!".
This exclamation from my son  took my breath away and made my heart stop for a minute.  I was NOT ready to have THIS conversation with a 7 year old.  What the heck type of book did I let my son buy?  The book was is the kids section right?  While all of this is running through my head I was running over ready to slam the book shut.....calmly.  As I was headed over to him he goes on to tell me "see mom look how the baby grows". As I looked down at the book I realized it wasn't what I thought.  It was a gestational timeline photo of how the baby grows in the womb.  You know it starts as a peanut looking baby and on and on until it is fully developed.   Will said "look how tiny it is to start with".  I then, breathing normally again, told him that yes he was that tiny once in my tummy.  And he said, "gross, I was touching your guts". Yes, I can have this conversation, just not the other one ...not yet.
Whew I was relieved.  I almost didn't handle that well.
Now off to grocery shop on this wonderful memorial weekend.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment